Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The bean

It's amazing to me just how different this second pregnancy is compared to when I was incubating Ms. Sloane. The first pregnancy takes over your life and makes time slow down. Most of the time it was all I thought about. And when I did have to make room in my brain to concentrate on something else, it was always hovering close behind in the background. I read each update from babycenter twice, studied my What to Expect like there would be an exam, and consumed as much information as I possibly could. I was very particular, about everything. I thought long and hard about every single thing that went into her nursery, it had to be perfect. I was particular about everything I purchased. Most stuff had to be brand new with the exception of a few items that we borrowed from family members and a couple of items I bought from my listserv and promptly disinfected like they had the plague. God forbid we left the house without 5 different options of slings, bjorn, ergo, etc. I obsessed, obsessed, obsessed, then worried a little more.

Then there's this pregnancy. What pregnancy? Oh geez, yah, I forgot I was pregnant. It's getting harder and harder to forget as the belly gets bigger and bigger but I sometimes find myself caught off guard when she kicks. What did I eat that gave me such weird gas? Oh, wait, that's right, there's a baby in there moving around. It's not that I'm not over the moon for this munchkin. She still gets obsessed over plenty, it just comes in shorter bursts. She's got a toddler sister that is pretty darn cute and demanding. I'm a lot more relaxed this time around. Been there, done that. We had it really easy with Sloane from pregnancy, to the birth, to being an awesome baby. I wonder how it will be this time around. It helps to be having another girl, in the same season, so we know this kiddo will be properly clothed. We have more gear and gadgets than we possibly need. We have a few things to purchase - furniture for the nursery and some items that were borrowed before that now need to be procured - but mostly it's just waiting for her to get here. I've been perusing craigslist for the few items we need. And the nursery, what nursery? We'll get around to it eventually.  

Here's what's happening with the bean and me at this point:
  • She is getting SUPER active. I really don't think she slept much yesterday as I felt like she was practicing her kung fu all day long and into the night. Every few days she goes through a mellow period but then after a day or two of semi-rest she's back at it.
  • She, like her sister, craves Tillamok peanut butter and chocolate ice cream. She also likes popcorn and lots of fruit. There was a while when the site of a vegetable (particularly lettuce) made me cringe, but she's decided that the green stuff isn't so bad afterall.
  • According to babycenter she is now (26 weeks) the length of an english hothouse cucumber.
  • Most nights I'm wide awake and staring at the ceiling from 2-4 am.
  • I've had a couple bouts of the most intense heartburn in the last week and now keep tums with me at all times.
  • Every few days I become certifiably insane. A couple of weeks ago John and I were sitting on the couch and I was perusing pinterest (what's new) and came across something funny. My giggles turned into full on belly laughs then into "I'm laughing so hard I'm crying" which turned into genuine sobs (no longer of laughter) for no apparent reason. I sobbed for a few minutes all while whimpering to John, "I know I'm a crazy person right now. I'm sorry, but I just can't stop crying." Then I blew my nose and happily went about the rest of my evening. I'd like to say that was an isolated incident but I would be a liar. Poor John. He's handling it all pretty well but he might consider sending me to the nuthouse soon.
  • It's all just flying by. At my appointment two weeks ago my doctor reminded me that he'd see me in four weeks and then we'd move to two week appointments. What? Already? We can't be there yet - I have too many projects to finish. Time to get started on that nursery, John.
  • I think a lot about what she'll look like and how she'll act. How will she be similar to Sloane and how will she be different.
  • We've got our name all picked out but are keeping it a secret this time. Mostly it's a good challenge for the two of us (we are the couple who give each other our Christmas and birthday presents a week early because we are just so excited) but also because I just don't care about the opinions that people think they need to give when you share a name.
  • I am a huge hit at Sloane's daycare. Every day the older girls ask me how the baby is doing and that inevitably leads to lots of little hands all over my belly. It's so sweet. They are all very excited for "their" new baby.
We are busy trying to get all of our projects done - bedroom re-do (almost done), nursery, bathroom remodel, back patio pour - so we can leisurely enjoy our last few weeks as a family of three. We can't wait to meet our little girl!

3 comments:

Brady Andrew Weedin said...

Such a great post & so true! That's how I felt in a lot of ways with #2 pregnancy...so happy & excited for you guys! :)

The Johnsons said...

I can't believe how fast this pregnancy is going!! Loved everything about this post. Miss you. xoxo

Joia Poort said...
This comment has been removed by the author.